Vanderbilt University Medical Center Executive Search Team is conducting a national search for a highly experienced Associate VP for Vanderbilt Integrated Providers.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) Vanderbilt Integrated Providers (VIP) is responsible for overseeing the administrative operations and financial outcomes of VIP, LLC. The AVP works with senior leadership to devise strategies and policies to meet the organization's objectives and goals, and reports on the performance of the various departments under the AVP's supervision directly to the VP, Regional Ambulatory Services for daily operations and accountability to Senior. VP, VHS.
To be successful, the AVP should be driven to succeed, able to handle stress, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The AVP should have profound experience in human resources, finance and fiscal planning. budgeting and operations. Specific experience in human resources includes having knowledge and expertise in talent acquisition, compensation, including physician compensation, employee benefits, organizational planning, employee relations, and human resources information systems.
Primary Objectives of the AVP
* Serves as VHS Entity Leader responsible for financial outcomes of VIP, LCC
* Sets annual goals for the company in collaboration with business leaders and senior leadership
* Directs the overall provision of Human Resources services
* Participates in business and strategic planning related to VIP, LLC initiatives
* Develops superior workforce inclusive of physicians, advanced practice providers and clinical and non-clinical healthcare employees
* Provides leadership and guidance to VIP, HR team members
* Develops an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance.
* Coordinates inter- and intradepartmental operations for VIP, LLC
Duties and Responsibilities I.
* Leads the development of department goals, objectives, and systems.
* Establishes departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of the company's strategic goals.
* Develops and monitors annual budgets within VIP, LLC in collaboration with VHS finance
* Directs the preparation and maintenance of such reports as are necessary to carry out the functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
* Develops and administers programs, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
* Participates in the vetting of business development opportunities.
* Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
II. Manages the overall provision of Human Resources services, policies, and programs for VIP, LLC.
The major areas directed are:
* recruiting and staffing;
* physician compensation and compensation plan management
* employment and compliance to regulatory concerns;
* employee orientation, development, and training;
* policy development and documentation;
* employee relations;
* company-wide committee facilitation;
* company employee and physician communication;
* compensation and benefits administration;
* employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health;
* employee services and counseling.
III. Development of the Human Resources Department within VIP, LLC .
* Oversees the implementation of Human Resources programs through Human Resources staff. Monitors administration to established standards and procedures. Identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves any discrepancies.
* Oversees and manages the work of reporting Human Resources staff. Encourages the ongoing development of the Human Resources staff.
* Develops and monitors an annual budget that includes Human Resources services, employee recognition, and administration.
* Selects and supervises Human Resources consultants and outside resources as necessary.
* Conducts a continuing study of all Human Resources policies, programs, and practices to keep management informed of new developments.
* Establishes and leads the standard recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a superior workforce. * Develops and oversees the management of physician compensation programs
* Interviews management- and executive-level candidates; serves as an interviewer for position finalists.
* Chairs any employee selection committees or meetings.
V. Employee Relations
* Formulates and recommends Human Resources policies and objectives for the company with regard to employee relations.
* Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs and laws.
* Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
* Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth.
* Monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progressive discipline system of the company. Monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with nonperforming employees.
* Reviews, guides, and approves management recommendations for employment terminations.
* Leads the implementation of company safety and health programs. Monitors the tracking of OSHA-required data.
* Reviews employee appeals through the company complaint procedure.
* Establishes the company wage and salary structure, pay policies, and oversees the physician compensation and other variable pay systems within the company including bonuses and raises.
* Leads competitive market research to establish pay practices and salary structures that help to recruit and retain superior staff. * Monitors all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment.
* Leads participation in at least one salary survey per year.
* Maintains relevant salary and productivity benchmark data. VII. Benefits
* In collaboration with senior leadership, maintains and manages cost-effective, employee serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
* Leads the development of benefit orientations and other benefits training.
* Recommends changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
VIII. Laws and Regulatory Compliance
* Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth. Maintains minimal company exposure to lawsuits.
* Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws. Approves all information submitted. Serves as the primary contact with the VUMC Office of Legal Affairs.
* Protects the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations.
IX. Human Resources Information Systems HRIS
* In collaboration with VUMC HR leadership, manages the development and maintenance of the Human Resources sections of both the internet, particularly recruiting, culture, and company information; and intranet sites.
* In collaboration with VUMC HR, utilizes Human Resources Information Software (HRIS) to the company's recordkeeping and management advantage.
X. Training and Development
* In collaboration with VIP Entity Leaders, defines Human Resources training programs, and assigns the authority/responsibility of Human Resources and managers within those programs. Provides necessary education and materials to managers and employees including workshops, manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
* Leads the implementation of the performance management system that includes performance development plans (PDPs) and employee development programs.
* Establishes an in-house employee training system that addresses company training needs including training needs assessment, new employee orientation or onboarding, management development, production cross-training, the measurement of training impact, and training transfer.
* Assists managers with the selection and contracting of external training programs and consultants.
* Assists with the development of and monitors the spending of the corporate training budget.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Profound experience in human resources, finance and fiscal planning. budgeting and operations
* Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, including physician compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, and training and development.
* Strong organizational and leaderships skills. with decision-making and problem-solving abilities
* Above average oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated ability to lead and develop Human Resources staff members.
* Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful participant on the executive management team that provides company leadership and direction.
* Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and skills in database management and record keeping.
* In-depth knowledge of relevant employment laws and regulations
* Knowledge of various healthcare laws and practices.
* Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources programs.
* Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
Required Education and Experience
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, Organization Development. Masters Degree preferred.
* Ten plus years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions.
* Specialized training in and/or experience with employment law, compensation (including physician compensation), organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, training, and preventive labor relations, preferred.
* Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement preferred. * Possess ongoing affiliations with leaders in successful companies and organizations that practice
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.